All the flavor of slow-cooked carnitas goes into this quick and simple Carnitas Soup, making the perfect dinner for busy nights!
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion from 1/2 medium onion
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup braising liquid from Instant Pot Carnitas Tacos https://mealtimejoy.com/instant-pot-carnitas-tacos/
- 2 14-1/2 ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 14-1/2 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1-1/2 cups leftover carnitas meat from Instant Pot Carnitas Tacos https://mealtimejoy.com/instant-pot-carnitas-tacos/
- Pickled Onion or Diced Red Onion
- Diced avocado
- Tortilla chips
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and red pepper flakes, then saute until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add the braising liquid, tomatoes, chicken stock, and spices. Stir and raise the heat to medium to bring it to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in the black beans and leftover carnitas meat. Simmer for another 5 minutes or until the meat is heated through. Taste and add salt or pepper if necessary.
Serve immediately and top with diced red onion, chopped cilantro, diced avocado, and/or tortilla chips.
- You may have a little more or less carnitas braising liquid. Use what you have! If it’s less than 1 cup, you may need to add more seasoning at the end. Complete the recipe, then taste and adjust as needed.
- The leftover carnitas meat is wonderful here but can be omitted if you don’t have any left. The specific amount doesn’t matter. You can also sub in some shredded chicken.