These quick and easy, healthy, flavorful, and family pleasing Deliciously Simple Honey Glazed Carrots deserve a spot in your dinner rotation!
We are all pressed for time when it comes to getting a healthy dinner on the table for our families, so quick healthy sides like this are a lifesaver. These carrots are simple, mostly hands-off, and so delicious even your picky kids will ask for more.
Simple is the name of the game here. Clean and prep your carrots by cutting them into 1/4-inch rounds before tossing them with seasoning, a bit of oil, and some honey. Spread them in a single layer on a foil-lined sheet pan and cover with more foil, then pop them in the oven for 20 minutes or until they are tender.
Essentially your carrots are steaming in the oven. Steaming them there means less stirring and watching, which you would have to do if you were making these on the stovetop. It also allows us to coat the carrots with honey, infusing them with flavor while they cook instead of simply coating them at the end. Trust us, they are much more delicious glazed this way!
To Peel or Not to Peel
That is the question here when it comes to prep time. The most time-consuming task in this recipe is peeling those carrots. But, really, you don’t have to peel them. That’s completely up to you!
We sometimes leave the peel on if we are cooking with organic carrots, but always peel if the carrots aren’t organic to remove any residue that might have gotten in or on the outside of the carrots while they were growing. (Opinions are mixed on whether this is a good strategy. Do your own research and choose what is best for your family.)
The carrot peels have a slightly rougher texture, so peel them if you or your family members don’t like that. Some kids are especially sensitive to this, so it might be a good idea to go ahead and peel them if you have a texture-sensitive kiddo.
Sheet Pan – You don’t need a lot of fancy things to make this simple side dish. But you do need a good sheet pan. We like a pan with a lighter color because the darker pans tend to cook a little hotter, which could cause food to begin burning before it’s cooked through. These pans from USA Pan are some of our favorites.
Vegetable Peeler – A good vegetable peeler will be a lifesaver here and is really essential to a well-equipped kitchen. There are many styles to choose from and they aren’t very expensive, so find which type works best for you. We are currently loving this style, which cuts in both directions, making peeling faster once you get the hang of it.
Serving Your Simple Honey Glazed Carrots
Honey glazed carrots are good with so many different meals. Here are some good options:
- Grilled Bone-In Chicken Breasts
- Healthy Grilled Balsamic Chicken (without the cucumber salsa)
- Healthy Chicken and Spinach Casserole
Dessert is always a good idea, too! Try one (or all) of these amazing desserts!
Honey Glazed Carrots
- 2 pounds carrots trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prep: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a sheet pan by lining it with aluminum foil and/or spraying it with cooking spray.
- Cook: Toss the carrot rounds with the honey, oil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Place them on the prepared pan in an even layer and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Serve: Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with some fresh thyme leaves if desired. Serve immediately.
- Your carrots may take more or less time to cook through depending on the thickness of your slices.
- Add red pepper flakes or use hot honey for a subtle spicy kick!