These Homemade Breakfast Burritos with Sausage will become a fast favorite for your family. Make them ahead and heat them in the morning for a filling and nutritious way to start the day. Or make them for dinner with a side of salsa for an all-in-one meal that will satisfy everyone.
Super fast and simple, you can pull this meal together in less than half an hour. That might be my favorite part. We all know how busy weeknights can get and how hard it is to get dinner on the table sometimes! Mixing it up with breakfast for dinner makes everyone happy in our house.
You don’t need any fancy equipment for this recipe, but a large nonstick skillet comes in very handy here (or anytime you are cooking eggs). This one is recommended by America’s Test Kitchen and is my favorite!
Let’s Get Started
Start by sautéing your veg just until they begin to soften. Then set your cooked veggies aside, give your skillet a quick wipe, and use the same skillet to scramble up some eggs. Sprinkle in some seasoned salt and some pepper, then, when they are cooked through, melt in the cream cheese. It’s not a lot of cream cheese, but the quick addition makes these eggs silky and creamy.
Stir your cooked eggs and your veggies together and your burrito filling will be ready to go.
Build Your Breakfast Burritos
It’s already time to build the burritos! Place some shredded cheddar on a large tortilla, then scoop on half a cup of your egg/veg mixture. Roll it up, then brown the outside in a hot skillet.
That’s it! All that’s left is to enjoy!
Our Breakfast Burritos are endlessly adjustable, too. Swap in a different veg if you like, or omit what you don’t care for. Try a different type of cheese, like pepperjack for a little bit of a kick. You can omit the sausage if you don’t have it or don’t like it, or sub in some cooked bacon for a different flavor profile.
Of course, we recommend that you try these as written because they are so delicious. But we like to have options and you should have them too. Part of the joy of making meals for your family comes from making the recipes your own, so feel free to play around with these.
Let us know in the comments what your favorite variation is! We’d love to see your pics on social media, too. Just tag us!
Homemade Breakfast Burritos with Sausage
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced orange or yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage (not the links) cooked and crumbled
- 8 whole large eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ounces plain cream cheese at room temperature and cut into small chunks
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 8-inch flour tortillas
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, onion, and bell pepper. Saute until just beginning to soften. Transfer to a large bowl, add the cooked sausage, and set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, seasoned salt and pepper. Cook the egg mixture in a skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly. When the eggs are almost fully cooked (they should still be a bit runny looking), remove from the heat and carefully stir in the cream cheese chunks until no big pieces remain. The residual heat from the pan will finish cooking the eggs and melt the cream cheese. After the cheese is melted, add the eggs to the vegetable and sausage mixture. Mix well.
- To assemble, place 2 tablespoons of the shredded cheddar into the center of a tortilla. Top with a 1/2 cup of the egg mixture. Wrap the burrito by folding in the sides over the filling, then rolling up from the bottom. If the tortillas feel stiff or tear while rolling, you can heat them slightly in a dry skillet or in the microwave to make them more flexible and easier to roll. Repeat the filling and wrapping process with the remaining tortillas.
- To crisp the outside of the burritos, toast them on a hot griddle or pan until both sides are golden.