We’ve had our first snowfall here in the Midwest and we are all craving dinners that are warm and comforting. Enter this Easy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. It is healthy, packed with flavor, and comes together so easily. You will want this soup on regular rotation all winter long!
It’s an especially timely recipe with turkey day right around the corner because it is a fantastic way to use up any leftover turkey and turn it into something different and delicious. You might want to buy a larger turkey just so you have enough left to make this soup!
The soup flavor base comes from the dynamic, staple trio of onion, carrot, and bell pepper. Add to that mushrooms and zucchini for another layer of flavor and a nutritional boost. These also add to the heartiness of this soup, which we love. A bit of flour added here will help to thicken the soup overall. If you’d like a thinner soup or are gluten free, feel free to omit the flour here.
Next comes a little garlic, seasonings, chicken broth, and the wild rice blend. Simmer away until the rice is cooked to al dente, tender but with a bit of a bite. Finish the soup off by adding your cooked chicken or turkey along with a bit of milk to add rich creaminess.
Using a rotisserie chicken or leftover turkey makes this soup even more simple. All you need to do is shred the meat. It’s one of the best dinner hacks we know! If you have a little more time to prep, roast some super inexpensive chicken legs with just a little salt and pepper, then shred the meat to use right away or refrigerate it to use all week long.
The wild rice does take a bit of time to cook, so make sure you have a little extra time for it to simmer on the stovetop. It takes around 45 minutes for the rice to become tender once you add it. But it’s not hands-on time; you just need to be nearby. Looking for options? This organic wild rice blend from Target is one of our favorites.
Our Easy Drop Biscuits are the perfect accompaniment to this soup (and, let’s face it, any soup). Make them your own by adding your favorite spices or a handful of cheese before baking!
A comforting dinner also calls for a comforting dessert, so finish off your meal with some Soft Cinnamon Cookies, Soft Pumpkin Cookies, or a Decadent Dark Chocolate Mug Cake.
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms chopped
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked wild rice blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken cooked and chopped (without the skin)
- 1 cup milk
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, carrots, green bell pepper, mushrooms, and zucchini until soft.
- Add the minced garlic and flour, then cook, stirring constantly, for one minute. Slowly whisk in the broth and water. Add the bay leaf, wild rice blend, salt, and pepper. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
- Once the rice is tender, add the chicken and stir in the milk. Continue to cook until the chicken is warmed through.