You know those nights when you want a little something sweet but don’t have anything on hand? Our Chocolate Mug Cake is your solution – rich chocolate flavor ready in less than 5 minutes. Even better when topped with vanilla ice cream. So so good!
Mug cakes were all the rage a few years ago and with good reason. They are so good – little portions of cake that are super simple to throw together at the last minute for a fun and delicious dessert. Or, really, to enjoy any time of the day!
Sweet and simple treats like this one never really go out of style and we think you are going to love our chocolate version.
You will need large mugs for this, so your cake doesn’t boil over while it cooks in the microwave. I love hunting for seasonal mugs at my local HomeGoods store, where there are always some fun finds. And now is the perfect time to find some mugs for fall! Here are some fun options: Hello Fall Mug, It’s Fall Y’all Mug, Be Still Mug.
I love this as a gift idea, too. Grab a fun mug, then measure out all the dry ingredients and some fun toppings/mix-ins and place them in a clear plastic bag. Put the ingredients inside the mug, then add a ribbon and the recipe printed on a little card. It’s easy to put together and who wouldn’t love the gift of cake?
Top your mug cake with ice cream and mini chocolate chips, like we did, or any of your favorite toppings. You can also mix in chocolate chips or other candy. Be creative with it! Just don’t add anything that provides a lot of moisture or your cake may not bake properly.
Make it your own and let us know your fav combinations in the comments below!
Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 ounces 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 ounces 1/4 cup whole milk or almond milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 ounces 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 ounces 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 ounce 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon scant coarse kosher salt
- Melt butter in a 14-16 ounce microwave-safe mug. Slowly whisk in the milk and vanilla.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add them to the mug and whisk until just combined.
- Cook on high for 2-3 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only moist crumbs attached. Allow to rest for 1 minute before eating.
- Add mix-ins such as chocolate chips, candy pieces, toasted nuts, rainbow sprinkles, or coconut before baking or as a topping after baking.
- Top with your favorite ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, or fruit sauce.