You will be blown away by the rich flavor of this healthy and super simple version of Creamy Broccoli Soup!
It’s no secret that we are fans of soup around here. This is one that has been on regular rotation for many years. We enjoy it year-round but it’s especially welcome this time of year, when January brings cold weather, gray days, and the blues that always seem to follow the holiday season.
This Creamy Broccoli Soup is the winter pick-me-up your whole family will love!
Take half an hour in the kitchen, then serve up this amazing soup with your choice of toppings. We love shredded cheddar and good old Goldfish crackers.
Creamy Broccoli Soup Method
The method is straightforward, simple, and familiar. We’re building flavor by first cooking the aromatics in a little butter. Start with the onion, which takes the longest. When it’s soft, add garlic and red pepper flakes.
The next layer is the broccoli itself along with the rest of the spices. Saute briefly, then add the stock and simmer to fully cook.
Once the broccoli is tender, puree it with your immersion blender or stand blender before stirring in the milk. Leave as much texture as you like. If you stop before it’s completely smooth, the remaining pieces of broccoli add wonderful texture.
Stir in the remaining butter for a silky finish and dinner is served!
Make Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup
This recipe adapts so easily to a vegan diet. Simply use vegan butter or olive oil instead of butter made from animal milk.
Substitute soy milk for the cow’s milk. Other milks work, too, but may add sweetness or flavor to the soup. You could also omit the milk altogether for a delicious broccoli soup that’s just not quite as creamy.
Serving Creamy Broccoli Soup
Shredded cheddar is a classic addition. If you want a cheesy soup, simply stir in a cup of shredded cheddar cheese just before serving.
Or serve your cheese on the side for a pretty and tasty topping! Other possible toppings include cheese crackers like Goldfish or Chees-Its. Crispy roasted broccoli florets are also delicious, adding even more broccoli flavor and a delightful cruch.
To make your roasted broccoli topping, simply toss some of the florets in a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt before roasting in a 375 degree F oven until the tips are brown and the broccoli is just tender.
My favorite way to enjoy this and any other soup is with a side of Easy Drop Biscuits. With this soup, make some Easy Cheddar Biscuits by adding shredded cheddar cheese to your biscuit dough for a truly delicious side!
More Amazing Soup Recipes to Enjoy
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Beef Vegetable Soup
- Easy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Carnitas Soup
- Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
Delicious Ways to End Your Creamy Broccoli Soup Meal
- Chocolate Mug Cake
- Soft Cinnamon Almond Cookies
- Lemon Bundt Cake
- Dark Chocolate Pecan Cookies
- Gluten Free Almond Caramel Cookies
- Gingerbread Blondies
Creamy Broccoli Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (or vegan butter)
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion (about 1/2 a medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 pounds broccoli (about 2 crowns with stems) stems peeled and diced, crowns cut into florets
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt (or 3/4 teaspoon table salt)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk (or alternative milk, such as soy milk)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large pot over low heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion begins to soften and become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes; cook for 1 minute. Throw in the broccoli, then the salt, paprika, thyme, and pepper. Stir, cooking until all of the crowns are bright green in color.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and cover your pot. Simmer until the broccoli is tender enough to be pierced easily with a fork, about 10 minutes. Once the broccoli has softened, remove from the heat and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. You can also do this in batches in a stand blender. Once it is as smooth as you like it, whisk in the milk and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter until fully incorporated. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese on the side as a topping. Goldfish crackers also make a good topping and are a favorite even with big kids!
- Make this a broccoli cheddar soup by adding 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese at the end and whisking until it is fully melted.
- Make this soup vegan by using vegan butter and your favorite plant-based milk. You can also simply omit the milk for a soup that is slightly less creamy.