Tis the season for warm comfort in meals, desserts, and maybe everything else too. (Who else has blankets stashed around their house?) To be honest, I love soup any day of the year, but it is especially welcome in the fall when the evenings turn chilly. If you can relate, you are going to love this Beef Vegetable Soup!
This dish is everything we love in a soup recipe – it’s hearty and healthy, but not at all heavy. A flavorful broth is complemented by ground beef and loads of vegetables. And it comes together quickly, which is a must for busy weeknights filled with fall activities.
The method here is pretty standard. First, cook your ground beef and drain off the rendered fat. In the same pot, cook your veg starting with the onions and celery. You’re building flavor here, so each step is important! Add your garlic and tomato paste. You want to stir often here to keep the tomato paste from burning, but it’s okay if it starts to stick a bit to the bottom of the pot. You can get that in the next step.
Now add your broth and, as it warms, use your wooden spoon to scrape up anything that is stuck to the bottom of the pot. This pulls in all the flavor of the beef and aromatics that you already cooked. Add your zucchini, potatoes and spices, then allow the simmering and seasoned broth to cook those vegetables.
The potatoes will let you know when it’s time to move onto the next step. They will take about 10 minutes to cook, depending on how you cut them. When they are tender, add the frozen veggies and wait for them to heat through.
Adjust your seasonings as necessary, then you’re done! It’s so easy. Really.
In the market for a new soup pot? We love using a dutch oven, which is a versatile workhorse in the kitchen. This one from Le Crueset is worth the splurge! This one is a more budget-friendly option, voted best affordable option by Food & Wine Magazine.
Serve these with some tasty oyster crackers or regular saltines. Or, better yet, whip up a batch of Easy Drop Biscuits to serve alongside your bowls of soup comfort. They are amazing with soup!
And, of course, you can’t forget dessert. A warm and inviting Decadent Dark Chocolate Mug Cake will hit the spot, guaranteed!
Beef Vegetable Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (1/2 of one large onion)
- 1/2 cup diced celery (2 medium stalks)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups beef or vegetable broth (or a combination of both)
- 1 cup diced zucchini (1 medium zucchini)
- 1 cup diced russet potatoes (2 medium potatoes)
- 1 14-1/2 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables or 1 12-ounce package
- In a large pot, cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink, crumbling it as it cooks. Drain grease and set beef aside in a small bowl. In the same pot, sauté the onion and celery until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste, then cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the broth, then throw in the zucchini, potatoes, tomatoes, oregano, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and continue cooking until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the frozen vegetables along with your cooked beef. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are warmed through and tender. Serve immediately.